Friday, August 20, 2010

Mmmm. Banana Cake!

I just bought these bananas! Ugh. And already they decided to go brown.  And I think we only ate one. Instead of having them go to waste, I decided to bake up a Banana Cake, instead of another loaf of bread.  Even though I did find a new great Banana Bread recipe, shared here.

And then, another hang up in the kitchen. The recipe calls for buttermilk. No offense, what the heck is buttermilk? I don't think I have ever bought or seen buttermilk other than as an ingreadient in pancakes!  So, off to the internet I go and there I find a wonderful substitute!



1 tablespoon lemon juice, or white vinegar placed in a measuring cup, then add milk until the 1 cup mark.  Let sit for 5 minutes ( I let a little more) and TA-DA! Buttermilk ( Substitute!)

Now, on to the Banana Cake recipe. Since when do I only bake???


2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup mashed banana
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup shortening ( I actually used Country Crock and it worked just fine)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all ingredients. Pour batter into greased pans. Bake 350 for 30-35 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog and just had to comment on this post. Being a southern girl, I can't imagine NOT having buttermilk around. It is so good for cooking so many different things. I use it in my cornbread, biscuits, as a soak for my chicken before I bread and fry it...it also (as you found) is great in cakes, sweet breads and muffins. My momma always made cornbread without sugar (to this day I can't stand sweet cornbread) and one of my fave things we'd have as a snack was to take a mug, fill it with buttermilk, crumble up a piece of cornbread in the buttermilk and eat it up! It is probably an acquired taste though...laugh! Can't wait to try the banana cake recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! If asking a question, make sure to leave a way to get in contact with you!
Thanks for visiting!