Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Stitch, New Scarf

In December, one of my readers Elisabeth linked up a crochet contest to Calling All Crafters.  And I decided why not? It's right after the holidays, it will get me in the swing of crafting again.

The rules were simple, create either a scarf,shawl, fingerless mitts, or chair cushion. But the catch was you had to use one of the stitch patterns that she had chosen.  They were all based on the chain-single crochet (ch.sc) stitch. The stitch was new to me, so I was up for the challenge!

Seeing as the stitch pattern was new, I decided to make a scarf so that I didn't stress myself out!  I didn't think I could figure out shaping and what not with the new stitch pattern. So I went with a simple scarf. But what makes this scarf extra fun is that it is super stretchy because of the stitch pattern, and I used a size N hook to make it every more airy and stretchy.





Want to create your own?

Hook: Size N (Also known at 10mm)
Yarn: Worsted Weight Acrylic
Finished Size: 4" x 70"

You will need to know how to chain, and ch.sc to complete this scarf.
From Elisabeth's site:

"this is how you crochet the stitch (descriptions taken from: mypicot.com):
"chain-single crochet (ch.sc)
Insert the hook into the stitch, yarn over hook and draw through a loop (2 loops on hook), yarn over hook and draw through a first loop on hook (2 loops on hook), yarn over hook and draw through 2 loops on hook (1 loop remains on hook)."

ch.sc is the american term, in british english it is chain-double crochet (ch.dc). i use the american term."


Chain 147. Turn.
Row 1: In third chain from hook, start pattern. 1 ch.sc, ch 1, *sk 1 ch,  1 ch.sc,  ch 1* repeat to end.
Row 2-6: Chain 2. 1 ch.sc into the loop formed by first chain, skip ch.sc, ch 1, *1 ch.sc into the loop formed by ch 1, skip ch.sc, ch 1* repeat to end.

And that's it!








2 comments:

  1. Beautiful scarf Felicia! I love the airyness of the stitch too... :)x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't crochet but my sister does, so I sent it to her. I'm crossing my fingers that she'll make it for me. It's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! If asking a question, make sure to leave a way to get in contact with you!
Thanks for visiting!