Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Preserves: Mixed Berry and Rhubarb Jam

Last year we loved our Strawberry Rhubarb Jam, so this year as soon as the rhubarb was ready I picked up some supplies. And as I was making some jam, I realized we had a bag of frozen mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries and strawberries) so I decided to throw them in! Boy did it come out good!


This recipe is super simple for a beginner canner. 

5 cups rhubarb 
3 cups sugar ( I used 2 cups)
1 box (3oz) strawberry jello
Bag of mixed berries

Put your rhubarb and sugar in a bowl. Let sit for 6+ hrs. Original recipe said 12 but I've done it after about 6, and its been fine. Mix a couple times. Once your sugar looks all dissolved put in a pot on the stove and let boil for 10 minutes. Add fruit.  Let boil ten more. Take jam off of heat, add jello. Pour into clean, sterilized jars. If you plan to water bath these, I let them boil ten minutes. Done!

Now, this makes a pretty small batch in my opinion. Maybe 6 cups or so. So you can always just put it straight in the fridge.  Also, the original recipe did not water bath it, they froze it. So that's always an option too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! If asking a question, make sure to leave a way to get in contact with you!
Thanks for visiting!