Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Meal Planning

I hope that you have heard of Clean Mama, because if you haven't you  need to stop over right away!  If you had heard of Clean Mama, did you follow along with her Meal Plan Month back in September?

I just found her myself, so if you haven't found her yet, your not too far behind!  But what I love about Clean Mama is that she shares tips and tricks on how to keep your life organized and some what clutter free!

I wish I had found her for Meal Planning Month, but love that I can browse through the whole month at once!  I am loving and trying oh so hard to Meal Plan.

Here's what I did:


Printed off this freebie from her site, then printed off a blank calendar off my computer.


Then sat down and filled out the freebie, and did a quick freezer inventory.

Once I had an idea of what was in the freezer, and an visual idea of what we liked, I started to randomly plug into my calendar.  There is not a right or wrong way to do this, but it was definitely a challenge. I didn't want to have the same thing week after week, and know that we normally stray away from chicken umpteen times a week. So, I tried to plug a chicken, beef and pork meal each week and then filled in from them.  

Then I thought about ingredients, say we are having Scalloped Ham and Potatoes, I think of a recipe that will use the shredded cheddar cheese like Quesadillas or Mac and cheese. And try to spread similar items out.





Once I had my weeks planned out.  (I only did Monday through Friday, and weekends are typically full of events, and whatnot.)  Then I worked on planning my groceries out next!  This has actually been the best part of all for me. I used to jot down a list right before going to the store to just have to run out during the week for one stinking ingredient. Not so anymore!

I actually sit down and right a list for every thing I would need for every meal of the week. Then when it comes time to get ready for the store, I pull my list out of my binder  (where I have began to store my meal planning sheets, extra paper, grocery lists, recipes I want to try, etc) and cross off items we already have. Then I add in the basics to the end, milk, eggs, bread, yogurt etc.




It's nice knowing whats for dinner, and if were not in the mood for something we have switched days around too. It's also nice to have everything in one spot.  I created a binder for Cook, Clean, Craft, Gift and Misc.

Do you meal plan? If so, what are your favorite tips?

5 comments:

  1. YES! Menu planning is so helpful for my sanity & budget. I use E-Mealz because I just don't have the time to do it myself. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often wondered about planning meals for a month at a time and marvel at people who do this well. Because I like lots of variety with my meals (and I can be pretty finicky), planning meals a week at a time works best for me. I also keep a well stocked pantry with the items I use all the time, which I find really helps with my meal planning as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. I am definitely a meal planner. I usually make a list of about 14 meals for a two week period. Then I make out my grocery list accordingly. They are listed on my white board and then I can pick which meal I feel like which day. I like the calendar idea and having it all in one place together. Thank you for linking this up!! Happy Monday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to use this - I always have good intentions of meal planning but somehow it always seem to go awry. I came from Creation Corner.
    Jennifer
    www.bigdandme.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you're
    a great author.I will make certain to bookmark your blog and may come back
    sometime soon. I want to encourage you to continue your
    great work, have a nice holiday weekend!

    Here is my page :: Raspberry ketones

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! If asking a question, make sure to leave a way to get in contact with you!
Thanks for visiting!