Monday, November 22, 2010

Sock Yarn Ornament


After finishing up my first pair of knit socks, I had this teeny tiny ball of yarn that matched.  Knowing it was too small to use for any other yarn project it was going to be thrown out. But then looking at the ball and getting closer to the Christmas season, my automatically said "ornament".  Now I will always have my ornament to match my first pair of socks, even after they wear out ( which I know will happen because I have been wearing them constantly, so comfy!).

Here's what I did to make my ornament.  Using my ball of yarn, I cast on 3 stitches and created an i-cord.  My cord is about 4-5 inches long ( to ensure it will go onto a tree branch).



Bind off your stitches, and using the tail leftover from my cast on, I pulled it through my final stitch loop, and knotted it once or twice.


Lastly, plugged my hot glue gun in, and wrapped my ball the way I liked it, and dotted a little bit of glue on top, and added my i-cord hanger. 


Isn't it cute?  I would love to do it to all my leftover sock yarn and have my very own knit sock ornament set, but I don't know how the husband would like yarn balls all over the tree!  If your in a knitting group these could be cute gifts to give too!  



1 comment:

  1. Perfect! What an awesome way to remember something significant from the year....your first pair of socks will be thought of fondly every year!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! If asking a question, make sure to leave a way to get in contact with you!
Thanks for visiting!