Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cutting Glass Jars

As you know I love ms some jars. 
And I hoard not only my canning jars, but also spaghetti, pickle and more.

But the downside with spaghetti jars, is the small opening. Sometimes you just want a bigger hole ontop.

Well, when I ever came across this pin, my reaction was No way. Shut up. I don't believe it. 

So what did I do? Whip out all the supplies and try it!

And can you believe it? 
Cotton Yarn, Nail Polish Remover, Fire, and Cold water will do it?


Tie yarn soaked in nail polish remover tightly around jar.


Light on fire. Make sure flame is all the way around jar. I let it burn until it was almost out.


Submerse in cold water, I tapped alongside of my sink. And voila! Cut glass!

Of coarse the one I photographed didn't come off perfect, or close to. 
This worked the first time for me.  

Now to perfect the edge to make it even better! 
(I've sanded it down with my dremel and it is better but... I'm wondering if I can do the string again to get rid of the rest of the jagged pieces!)

 Now to figure out what I can make with cut glass! I'm thinking about planting in them, maybe candles, or cutting off the bottom and put candles in them outside to prevent the wind from blowing out!


4 comments:

  1. I have been dying to try this and i've collected about a dozen wine bottles. I better just make them already so my neighbors dont see all those wine bottles lined up in my garage and think i have a problem! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to start saving/getting wine bottles to try! I saw an awesome candle holder from wine bottles! you cut the bottom off instead of the top! Can't wait to get my hands on some to try!

      Delete
  2. I've seen that on there too and was wondering if it worked. I'm so glad to know that you tried it and it did! Now I can start using it on the pretty wine bottles I get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally saw this and then tried it. Because I didn't believe it. Then when my husband got home. I did it again because he didn't believe it!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! If asking a question, make sure to leave a way to get in contact with you!
Thanks for visiting!