Friday, March 9, 2012

Lifesavers: Frugal Crockpot Beans

Another tip to save you some time, money and frustration!

I don't even know where to start with this one!
Do you buy beans in a can? I'm talking black beans, pinto beans, refried  beans, white beans and more?
Me too. And sometimes a single can be around a $1!

Now we have all seen it in the grocery store the section with the bags of dried beans. But I know that I used to walk right by and think, who does that? Sounded like a lot of work. Rinse the beans, sort the beans, soak the beans, boil the beans for hours. 

A dear friend of mine shared a recipe that allows you to just rinse, sort and then throw in the crock pot. That's it. No watching. Just walk away and when you come back they are done! Amazing.


I ran right out and picked up a back of white beans and pinto beans. The white beans were $1.25 for a bag and the pinto were $2.25 for a bag. Not bad. But once you cook the beans you are getting the equivalent of 6 cans! To me, it's worth it. Make the whole bag in the crock pot and freeze. Perfect!

Here's how: 
2 cups dried beans of choice, rinsed and sorted 
6 1/2 cups water

Place in crock pot on high for 8-9 hours. And your done! 
(*Note this only uses half of a two lb bag. If you want to do a full batch just double!*)


How easy is that? 

I made the pinto beans, then took a scoop or two and added to my pan of cooked ground beef, with some taco seasoning and our taco meat was AWESOME. 

Do you use dried beans? I've been converted! So much cheaper! And to make a big batch and freeze and thaw is just like opening up a can! They're already cooked!

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I am always buying canned beans. This is definitely much, much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much cheaper! And if you make it in bulk you'll always have on hand!

      Delete
  2. I find that garbanzo beans, our favorite in recipes from vegan sausage to cookies, only take 2.5 hours. I love buying the dry organic beans in bulk. I think i might try canning some since I like the convenience of room temperature ingredients and I have more pantry than freezer space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you read my mind Julie? I am doing garbanzo beans today! I watch mine, and taste often to make sure they don't overcook! Each bean I have tried definitely take different amounts of time, hence the tasting throughout the day!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! If asking a question, make sure to leave a way to get in contact with you!
Thanks for visiting!