Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Preserving: Garlic

So after my semi successful garlic harvest, I was looking for ways to preserve it. 


Now, I know you can braid it and it will stay for about 6 months, but I just couldn't get the dirt off and some of the stalks broke when I pulled them out so braiding really wasn't an option.

So I did some research.  Here is what I learned:

-Un-peeled garlic will last on the shelf for about 5 months ( just like the braided).

-Once you peel your garlic you either have to use it, store it in fridge for 2-3 weeks or freeze. {Source}

-Do not store your garlic in olive oil at room temperature. This can cause botulism. {Source}

-However, you can freeze chopped garlic in olive oil. {Source}


I froze my oil and garlic in ice cube trays, then when I warm up my pan just put a cube in,  let it melt and start cooking! 

Just chopped it all up in the food processor, and divided into my ice cube trays.


Added my oil, and froze. Once froze I popped them out and put them in a container for easy grabbing!



Any neat preserving tricks? I'm trying a bunch of new things this year!
 So far this and the strawberry rhubarb jam have been a hit!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all of the information. I never knew much about preserving garlic...just that I loved cooking with it. This is good to know.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! If asking a question, make sure to leave a way to get in contact with you!
Thanks for visiting!