Friday, June 26, 2015

{Makes} Drilling Drainage Holes

Doesn't Drilling Drainage Holes sound SCARY?


I was so nervous when I decided to drill some holes in a giant ceramic container I was given years ago, that was living in my basement because I never knew what to do with it!
Which looking back, I shouldn't have been nervous. What was the worst thing that could happen?
The container would break, and I would throw it out. And free up space in the basement!

The other day I thought I had ran out of pots to plant in, since I am finicky when if comes to pots I grow food in, and I didn't want to use plastic. 

So I got thinking {which can lead to trouble!} what I could plant in, 
I immediately remembered this beauty! 
 
{Oops. forgot to take a picture of it empty without the drainage!}

But the downside was it had zero drainage.
And I wanted to grow herbs in it.  Which I am notorious for killing by overwatering.
Then I started thinking I could add gravel, or newspaper to the bottom.
But a quick search, led me to believe holes were the only answer.


So, I pulled out my trusty drill, painters tape and tried to drill a hole.
And. Got. Nothing.
I tried to use any drill bit, and obviously didn't have any success.
The painters tape did it's job, giving me a little grip so I didn't slide all over the pretty glaze.
But other than that, fail.


So back to the drawing board {or google}.
I looked up what the proper bit should look like thinking maybe I have something similar.
Sure enough, I did!
A whole set!
See how the end has a wider, funny tip?
That's what you need. 


So, now that I found a bit that I thought would work I tried again!
And wouldn't you know it, it worked!
So I went ahead and added four drainage holes!
It took about 20 minutes to get all four done since this is a pretty heavy piece.
Plus I didn't want to rush and crack/break it! 

My advice if you wan to try to drill  your own drainage holes is:
keep your drill at a medium speed, and don't push as hard as you can.

Slow and steady wins the race for drilling drainage holes!

And yes, I have opened up a can of worms! 
Everything I look at is not safe!

What would you drill drainage holes in first?!?!
And what should I try drilling holes in next?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! If asking a question, make sure to leave a way to get in contact with you!
Thanks for visiting!