Friday, April 23, 2010

Glossy Business Cards Tutorial

In preparation for the Craft Fair on May 2, I decided I wanted to make some business cards. But you know the drill, everytime you go to print something your out of ink... And then I got thinking, well I could do some through an online service, but none were going to make it here in time ( well they could have but the shipping was too much for my taste).

My photography degree and Photoshop experience came in handy, when I decided to create a business card out of 4x6 prints that I can print at my local drugstore ( Another perk? They give you 50 free when you first sign up!)

Here's what I did:

1. Open Photoshop and Create a file:


2. Began designing my business card ( To match my blog of coarse!) on the top third of the file. I also created guides at 3.5" wide and 2" and 4" length. ( This let me create three cards per page).


3. Once happy with my card, I selected all the layers needed, and copied them.


4. Move the copied files around document to line them up in the guides.



5. Saved my file. I saved it as a photoshop and a jpeg just in case they come back and need editing.

6. Uploaded to my local drugstore and now I have 150 FREE glossy business cards, All i have to do is cut them when I get them back! Even if you cannot get free prints, think about it three cards per 4x6 (Snapfish is normally 9 cents per... So it would not be much to make a batch of cards! And my local drugstore was only going to be $10)

Even if you do not have Photoshop, you can do this. Just make sure to save it in a jpeg format and the photo center will be able to print them!