Tuesday, July 3, 2012

DIY Laundry Soap

I know, I know. Jumping on the DIY laundry soap wagon. It's crazy.



So crazy that, my mother asked if I had joined a hippie commune.  

Sorry Mom! Just couldn't get past the amount of money it would cost, and how big a batch it would make! With two little boys, I knew I had to try it!

I found the "recipe" at How Does She.

Money wise How Does She was spot on, it cost about $28 to make the batch. BUT it fills a 5 gallon bucket up halfway, and if you do the math it works out to be only 9 CENTS a load! 

Now, there are lots of comments over on the How Does She post about it dissolves great. I used to throw my clothes in the wash, fill it up and then add my soap. Now I just do it backwards, add my soap, start to fill and add clothes. I haven't had a problem.

I've been tempted to make this into a liquid detergent too, as I have heard through the grapevine from a plumber you shouldn't use powdered detergent. All I was going to do is take 6 cups of the powder to 4 cups water ( I found this ratio online, and haven't tried it. But that's where I was going to start)

So far I am liking it, I like the smell and the cost. 
Plus hubby has sensitive skin and hasn't had an issue yet!

If you are thinking about making your own laundry soap, I found all of my ingredients at Kmart except the Washing Soda. I found the Washing Soda in my local grocery store ( Price Chopper), all in the detergent aisle.

Have you ever DIY'ed Laundry Soap?