Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Grows: Grand Total Summer 2013

Phew. Garden season is winding down here.
I've harvested pretty much everything, except my greens, peppers and strawberries are still thriving.
We haven't had a frost yet, but once there is a warning I will definitely be picking what is left.


Here is a reminder of what the garden looked like this year:


The "squash side"



The "umbrella side"


The tomatoes! 
(But only about half of them! Eek!)


As you may know, I created a Harvest Tracker to know just how much we are growing in our garden.
So here is what we've harvested so far!


Beets
2 lbs 9.9 oz
I've got more in the ground, but they are definitely not close to being ready.
If I ever build my cold frame, they will be going in!

Beans
8 lbs 8.7 oz
This was amazing! It seemed like they were never going to produce, they were growing up the sunflowers at almost 10 feet tall!
Once they started it was an everyday picking event!

Collards
1 lb 4 oz.
This could have been a much higher year, but I cut it all back when it was getting eaten by beetles.
So it's just now starting to make a comeback!

Corn
10.1 oz
We got 6 adorable mini corn. The kids loved them!

Cucumbers
8 lbs 10.8oz
Lots of fresh cucumbers and pickles this year!
This is my first "bumper" crop I've ever had, they normally dry out, or get stolen by chipmunks 
and we get none!

Edamame
4 lbs 6 oz
This was so awesome to grow! The taste was amazing!
Definitely will be returning next year!

Garlic
9 oz, 4.5 oz and 1.7 oz
Again, I am just not a garlic grower!
I weighed them out in three piles, big, medium and small.
The big and medium we will use, the small (maybe some medium) will get replanted in the fall.

Lettuce
1 lb 6.1 oz
 It was so good this year. Normally I am not a huge fan! And it's still growing!
Another cold frame candidate!

Kale
2 lbs .8 oz
Made a comback after the beetles attacked!
Just harvested the end of it yesterday!

Peas
1 lb 5.7oz
Not sure why these didn't produce better, .
And honestly, they may have produced fine but the boys may be the culprits of why I am not getting much! 

Peppers (Hot)
2 lb 4.9 oz
Loved the bacon wrapped jalapenos, and pickled the cherry peppers for stuffing later on!

Peppers (Sweet)
 2 lb 8 oz
Carter loved these this year! So glad he was convinced not all peppers are hot!

Red Onion
3 oz
Wow. Not good with root vegetables! 
Must learn more!

Rhubarb
4 lbs 3.7 oz
And it's still growing! I harvest the bigger stems, and let the littler ones keep growing!

Swiss Chard
7lb 7.8 oz
This has been our biggest crop! I will be planting and harvesting all my greens like I did the Swiss Chard! I've been able to freeze some, eat some and give some away!

Squash (Yellow)
5 lb 8.6 oz
My squash and zucchini was taken over by bugs. Yuck. And it seemed like some of the blossoms rotted before they turned into plants.

Grape Tomatoes
7 lb 1.6 oz
Wyatt loved running in and eating them off the vine, so this isn't  very accurate.

Tomatoes
65 lb 13.1 oz
Phew. Good thing we like tomato sauce, soup and jam!

Blackberries
8.7 oz
These are in the farther part of our yard, and I always forget them.
I didn't plant them, so that's why i seem to forget!
But this year the boys loved them! 
So now I know I can't forget!

Blueberries
4.1 oz
I am so disappointed.
We've had our blueberry bushes for a couple years and
 I know I have gotten more out of them in years past. 
We lost one over the winter and replaced it, but still not as many berries as usual.
I will be pruning and fertilizing them in the fall, hoping for more berries next year.

Strawberries
.4 oz
Another disappointment.
Last year I couldn't keep up.
This year, I've gotten two tiny ones.
But I just read that your supposed to replace your strawberry runners every 3 years!
Maybe that is my problem? 
And now, all of a sudden my strawberries are full of flowers and berries. But months later than they should... hmmmm.


Any tips for me? 
How did your garden grow?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! If asking a question, make sure to leave a way to get in contact with you!
Thanks for visiting!