Thursday, December 19, 2013

Sews: Advent Calendar

Every year, an Advent Calendar is on my list of "to makes".
Every year I put it off. This year I finally did it!
I may be late but I did it! And next year I won't have to put it on my "to make" list!

The hardest part was starting! So, I decided to start with the top half of my felt that is more decorative.
I have seen this advent calendar floating around blogland, and I loved the tree. 
A little bit realistic, a little whimsy. It was perfect.



So much so I sat staring at my computer screen with paper and slowly sketched it out.
Once sketched out, I used the papers as my pattern, alternating light green and dark green.

As for the countdown part, I just could not make up my mind.
My mother has a countdown that you move the stuffed mouse everyday,and thought I would make that.
Then I loved all the calendars with the pockets for treats, or notes.
But I also loved the ones with ornaments to hang too.



In the end I just went with it, making mine so that it can grow with us and be used in different ways each year if we want to. I started by looking at my moms, and hers had 4 rows with 6 pockets per row.
So, thats what I did! Using strips of white felt (3"tall x 18"wide) I sewed them down creating pockets.

Then I needed to decide what to use as ornaments, or countdown markers. 
Joann's sent me a lovely box of goodies to Celebrate the season with them, and they lovingly sent the perfect amount of buttons! 18 red, and green traditional buttons and 6 gingerbread men buttons. It couldn't have been more perfect!


To make my advent ornaments, I pulled out my jewelry making supplies!
This couldn't have been any easier! 
Using earring hooks, and eye pins.


And in no time I had 24 perfect sized ornaments! 


Look how cute they look in their pockets!

Now to all together! 



Even though I didn't get to use it this year, I will have it for years to come!
Plus if I don't want to hang the ornaments everyday, I can put them all on and either use a clothespin to countdown the days ( decorated in some way of course) or put notes/activities/candy in each day for the kids!


Again I can't thank Joann's Fabric and Craft Stores enough, for challenging me to Celebrate the Season! It has kept me on my toes, and added some wonderful holiday treasures that I plan to use for years to come!