Monday, November 1, 2010

I think I can... and I... CAN!

I think I can, I think I can...

I've been knitting on a regular basis for a year or two now, and finally decided to take the sock plunge!  My typical go to knit projects are baby blankets, baby hats, and dishcloths.  I have also made a GIANT Christmas stocking (that I will post once Christmas decorations have been unpacked), and my pocket placemat.  Other than that I do pretty beginner stuff. That's why I thought I would not be able to do a sock.

So I searched through Ravelry and found a couple patterns that looked pretty beginner friendly.  I got my needles and yarn and brought everything to Knit Nite.  ( A group of gals who get together every other Monday, and work on projects.)  I started with my pattern and got to work. After getting the cuff done, I tried it on and realized my yarn was wrong, I bought a fine sock yarn ( 1 ply) and needed a thicker one ( 4 play) hence the sock not fitting.  After fiddling around with a different yarn, and pattern. I decided why not try the pattern that came with the yarn.  But it was for an Intermediate Knitter, and by the list of things I have worked on... I was by far not an Intermediate knitter.  But I went for it!  And here's where I am at!



I changed the pattern up a bit at the beginning. The pattern said create the cuff (which I did) but then knit 5 inches to have before the heel.  I omitted that section to create an "anklet" style sock and really love the results.  Other than that I followed the Intermediate level pattern with no issues!

Our Knit Nite host, Ali, is a wonderful knitter and she always has great tips.  One tip she has shared and I finally listened was to use a post it and do not read ahead.  This way your only worried about the step your on. I did that and look, I made it through the whole thing without ripping it out!

Hope this encourages you to challenge yourself!  Because it has been a great feeling being able to know that I did this ALL by myself!



*Edited to Add*  The pattern came with the sock yarn, that I purchased at my local Joann's store.  It is the Deborah Norville Collection by Premier Yarns, Serenity Sock Weight ( Super Fine 1ply).  The color is Thyme.  Unfortunately, I do not see any sock patterns on their site, but they do come with the yarn!